Seems that President Obama wants everyone to “spread the wealth around” and pay their fair share of taxes. The Critic of Corporate welfare, Obama seems a bit hypocritical embracing GE CEO as part of his Jobs team. To make it all worse, General Electric was the Benefit of what the President and Democrats call “Corporate Welfare” claiming $3.2 Billion in tax benefits.
In January, President Obama named General Electric CEO Jeffrey Immelt to head the President’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, an economic advisory board focused on job creation.
In his State of the Union address that same month, meanwhile, he called for the closure of corporate tax loopholes in conjunction with a lowering of corporate tax rates, which stands at 35 percent.
“Over the years, a parade of lobbyists has rigged the tax code to benefit particular companies and industries,” he said. “Those with accountants or lawyers to work the system can end up paying no taxes at all. But all the rest are hit with one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world. It makes no sense. It has to change.”
Mr. Obama’s choice of Immelt came under scrutiny Friday in the wake of a front-page story in the New York Times reporting that despite $14.2 billion in worldwide profits – including more than $5 billion from U.S. operations – GE did not owe taxes in 2010.
In fact, the story said, G.E. claimed a tax benefit of $3.2 billion.
Read the rest at Political Hotsheet – CBS News.
- Obama’s favorite CEO gets GE out from paying any US taxes (hotair.com)
- GE Pays Zero Taxes: Hate the Game, Not the Player (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Tax the rich. (preaprez.wordpress.com)
- Corporate Welfare – HUMAN EVENTS | John Stossel (jamespatrick1.wordpress.com)
- Why Corporate Tax Rates Don’t Matter (angrydd.wordpress.com)
- James Sample: General Electric’s $0 Tax Bill: A Citizens United Perspective (huffingtonpost.com)
- White House defends General Electric despite not paying taxes in 2010 and accepting $3.2B in Corporate Welfare (ironmill.wordpress.com)