In this week’s The Week That Was, Ken Haapala, Executive Vice President of the Science and Environmental Policy Project, offers a concise explanation of why global alarmism, as represented by the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, is not science:
In an interesting opinion piece in The New York Times entitled “On Experts and Global Warming,” Gary Gutting, Professor of Philosophy at the University of Notre Dame, argues that the non-experts must accept the findings of the expert authorities in climate science. Though not named, no doubt the expert climate authorities are the members of the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), particularly as expressed in the Summary for Policymakers (SPM) of the Fourth Assessment Report (AR4).
Unfortunately, the good professor fails to recognize the tremendous change in thinking that came about through the development of natural philosophy – scientific philosophy. Under scientific philosophy, the pronouncements of climate authorities are not as important as how and why they acquired their claimed knowledge. Did they adhere to the principles of acquiring scientific knowledge? If the climate authorities did not, then anyone familiar with scientific principles is perfectly capable of challenging these experts, even though the challenger is not, necessarily, an expert in climate science.
There are many glaring scientific defects in AR4, particularly in the SPM. Among these defects are the following:
* Ignoring scientific data that is contrary to the central conclusions.
* Failure to rigorously test hypotheses using physical observations.
* Assuming results are evidence of cause.
* Assuming a poor correlation is evidence of cause.
* Assuming a thorough knowledge of the climate system.
* Assuming that calculations involving variables with a low level of understanding can produce results embodying a high level of understanding.
* Assuming projections from unverified models are scientific knowledge.
Read the rest of the story at Why Global Warming Alarmism Isn’t Science | Power Line.
- The Global Warming Hoax: How Soon We Forget (americanthinker.com)
- Climate Alarmism, Journalism in their Death Embrace (biggovernment.com)
- Global Warming: A Primer (powerlineblog.com)