StopWatching.us is a coalition of more than 100 public advocacy organizations and companies from across the political spectrum. Join the movement at https://rally.stopwatching.us. This video harnesses the voices of celebrities, activists, legal experts, and other prominent figures in speaking out against mass surveillance by the NSA. Please share widely to help us spread the message that we will not stand for the dragnet surveillance of our communications.
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is a nonprofit civil liberties law and advocacy center that has been fighting the NSA’s unconstitutional spying for years. Learn more at https://eff.org.
Edward Snowden just released this statement in support of the Rally Against Mass Surveillance happening this Saturday in Washington, D.C.:
In the last four months, we’ve learned a lot about our government.
We’ve learned that the U.S. intelligence community secretly built a system of pervasive surveillance. Today, no telephone in America makes a call without leaving a record with the NSA. Today, no internet transaction enters or leaves America without passing through the NSA’s hands. Our representatives in Congress tell us this is not surveillance. They’re wrong.
Now it’s time for the government to learn from us. On Saturday, the ACLU, EFF, and the rest of the StopWatching.Us coalition are going to D.C. Join us in sending the message: Stop Watching Us.
You can RSVP for the event using the form to the right or at the top of this page.
We have a great lineup of speakers, including:
- Congressman Justin Amash
- Former senior NSA executive and whistleblower Thomas Drake
- Bruce Schneier, internationally renowned security technologist
- Craig Aaron, Free Press
- Social critic Naomi Wolf
- Jona Bechtolt, from electro-punk band YACHT
- Claire L. Evans, also from YACHT
- Lt. Dan Choi, LGBT advocate and U.S. veteran
- Rainey Reitman, EFF
- Kymone Freeman, Director of the National Black LUV Fest
- Former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson
- Khalilah Barnes, EPIC
- Shahid Buttar, Bill of Rights Defense Committee
- Malachi Byrd, DC Youth Poetry Slam Team
- Wafa Ben Hassine, writer and human rights advocate
- Former Congressman Dennis Kucinich
- Laura Murphy, ACLU
- NOT4PROPHET, Hip Hop MC and community organizer
- Black Alley, DC-based soul-garage band
Marchers will gather in front of Union Station at 11:30 a.m. by the Christopher Columbus Memorial Fountain in Columbus Circle. Shortly after noon we’ll march to the National Mall at 3rd Street and Madison Dr. NW, in front of the Capitol Reflecting Pool, where there will be a stage set up for our rally speakers, musicians, and performers.
Read more and see a map.