It is Ironic that the most important Republican debate of the election would be taking place in this quaint upstate South Carolina town known for its southern charm, sweet tea and hospitality. Greenville is about to host a gloves off, no holds barred, cage match at the ‘Peace Center’ for the GOP nomination between Donald Trump, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio for the Presidency of the United States.
We were here just five years ago with a Fox News Debate that was described as potentially the most boring debate in history as no candidate was polling above the ten percent. A minor candidates playground, but a snooze of an event for reporters. We called it at the time, ‘The Sweet Tea Debate‘
John Kasich, Jeb Bush and Ben Carson will also be squaring off on Saturday, February 13 in Greenville, South Carolina but they are the calmer element in this event. Kasich and Carson have both stated they will remain issue driven and keep to positive messaging no matter the attacks thrown their way.
Ted Cruz has finally gone after Trump in a new political ad ‘Parking Lot‘ that attacks ‘The Donald’ on stealing little old ladies homes using eminent domain. Meanwhile, Trump has pulled an attack ad on Cruz in South Carolina that called Cruz a dishonest politician.
Just hours ago, CBS News released the line up for Saturdays GOP debate and the field has been whittled down to the aforementioned six. CBS News used the following criteria to qualify candidates for the South Carolina Debate at the Peace Center. The Candidates had to meet one of the following:
1) Place among the top five candidates ranked according to the popular vote in the New Hampshire Republican primary on Feb. 9, 2016;
2) have placed among the top three candidates ranked according to the popular vote in the Iowa Republican caucuses on Feb. 2, 2016;
3) place among the top five candidates in an average of national and South Carolina Republican presidential polls conducted over a four-week period starting on Jan. 15, 2016 and recognized by CBS News; and receive a minimum of 3 percent in the Iowa, New Hampshire results or the South Carolina or national polls. To be included, polls must be conducted and released to the public before 12 p.m. ET on Feb. 12, 2016.
The Latest Polling in South Carolina has Donald Trump leading by sixteen (16) percentage points:
As of this writing, Politisite Political Projections has Donald trump leading the South Carolina Primary by sixteen (16) percentage points. Our polling analysis has the race this way:
- Trump 36%
- Cruz 20%
- Rubio 14%
- Bush 9%
- Kasich 8%
- Carson 6%
Although Ted Cruz is steadily polling at around 20%, we think that Ted Cruz could win in South Carolina. We think this is the reason that Donald Trump is squarely attacking him here. Real Clear Politics has Donald Trump beating Cruz by seventeen (17) percentage points.
How to Watch the Greenville, South Carolina Republican Debate:
The CBS Greenville, South Carolina Republican Debate at the Peace Center will air live on CBS from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 13th. The network’s digital streaming service, CBSN, additionally will offer extensive coverage before, during and after the debate.
Twitter Hashtag for the Greenville, SC Republican debate is #GOPDebate
This from CBS News
CBS NEWS TO HOST GOP PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE IN GREENVILLE, S.C. ON SATURDAY, FEB. 13 AT 9:00 PM, ET AT THE PEACE CENTER
Principal Moderator John Dickerson to be joined by CBS News’ Major Garrett and The Wall Street Journal’s Kimberley Strassel
Google to Provide Real-Time Trends Data to All Platforms
Multi-Platform Coverage Kicks off at Noon on CBSN
Follow Politisite for updates during and after the debate as our reporters and photographer will be in the press file and spin rooms.
Poll: Who do you think will win tonights GOP Debate in Greenville, South Carolina?
POll: Who will win the Greenville, SC #GOPdebate ?
— PolitiSite (@Politisite) February 13, 2016
GOP Debate Schedule:
- FEBRUARY 13, 2016 Greenville, South Carolina – 9:00 PM EST On: CBS
- FEBRUARY 25, 2016 – Houston, Texas – Sponsors: CNN/Telemundo/Salem Communications On: CNN
- MARCH 2016 – Florida – Sponsors: CNN/Salem Radio
- MARCH 2016 – TBD* – Sponsors: Fox News